WorkSafeBC fines have increased 4,000% in the last five years for wood product manufacturers. The operational practices of those in the industry are being put under a microscope and fines are being imposed in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. What can be done to avoid these penalties and how do they relate to your insurance premiums?
WorkSafeBC officers have the authority to visit your facility unannounced and inspect your mill. They will assess your dust management policies, how your fire suppression system is being maintained, whether equipment is being kept in safe working order, as well as other indicators of your compliance with workplace health and safety regulations. Any failures will be noted and classified on a severity scale. High hazard deficiencies will lead to warnings being issued along with potential fines.
Additionally, names of companies that have been penalized are being published publicly as a deterrent for future violations. Explore for yourself some of the recent fines here.
Some common reasons for fines being imposed by WorkSafeBC include:
- failure to ensure combustible wood dust management program is followed;
- no fall protection system in place; and
- machinery not being fitted with adequate safeguards
All of the above are issues that are often highlighted in risk engineering reports, which will include the following:
- Business overview - in-depth occupancy description
- Facility construction details - construction class, building dimensions
- Special & common hazards - combustible dust, waste collection, hot work
- Business interruption exposures - market segments and equipment replacement
- Management loss prevention programs - municipal fire protection response, overview of private systems in place
On top of bringing awareness to deficiencies in your operational practices and making recommendations for improvements, risk engineering reports can help ensure you are not being overcharged for your insurance. They can save you anywhere from $10,000 to more than $50,000 on your premiums.
If you are looking for solutions to your rising insurance premiums, CapriCMW's Risk Advisors bring specialized expertise in wood product manufacturing, an in-depth understanding of insurer expectations, and ways to help you get the most favourable pricing, terms and conditions. Contact a CapriCMW Risk Advisor to learn more:
T: 250 869 6096 | E: email@example.com