New ICBC Product: Off-Highway Third Party Liability

On May 1, 2021, ICBC is introducing its new Off-Highway Third Party Liability coverage, along with a host of significant changes to BC's auto insurance system.
Categories: Personal Insurance
Mar 5th, 2021 | By: CapriCMW

On May 1, 2021, ICBC is introducing its new Off-Highway Third Party Liability coverage, along with a host of significant changes to BC's auto insurance system under the new Enhanced Care model.

Get ATV Insurance Online

CapriCMW offers an easy and affordable option to get the best protection for your ATV. Get an online quote today. 


It is an optional coverage that provides a $200,000 limit in the event you are at-fault for a crash causing injury or property damage while operating a “non-standard vehicle” off-highway. Non-standard vehicles refer to motor vehicles that do not conform to Canadian standards for on-highway use but can be licensed for limited on-highway use in BC. Examples include ATVs, golf carts, farm tractors and industrial vehicles, such as forklifts. These vehicles fall under rate classes 030, 100 and 170.


Currently, ICBC's Basic Third Party Liability provides coverage for both standard and non-standard vehicles involved in both on and off-highway crashes. With the introduction of the Enhanced Care model, the circumstances under which individuals involved in crashes  can sue at-fault drivers will be limited. However, this limitation will not apply to off-highway crashes involving non-standard vehicles. In the interest of keeping basic insurance premiums affordable for British Columbians, regulations will remove coverage under Basic Third Party Liability for claims involving non-standard vehicles.

Additionally, new benefits available to all British Columbians who sustain injuries in a crash will not apply in cases involving only non-standard vehicles being operated off-highway.

The new Off-Highway Third Party Liability will allow those who drive non-standard vehicles off-highway access to the coverage they need while eliminating the impact on premiums to other drivers in BC.


It will be available with the launch of Enhanced Care on May 1, 2021. Those who already have Basic TPL prior to this date will continue to have coverage for non-standard vehicle use until the expiry dates of their policies. 


If you already have a Off-Highway Pleasure Use or Farm/Industrial Vehicle Floater License policy, no changes are required. ICBC's Off-Highway TPL policy will be secondary to any other source of the same coverage.

Questions? Find a CapriCMW office and get in touch with one of our experienced, knowledgeable Client Advisors. 

See what you'll save in premiums under Enhanced Care with ICBC's new online estimator.

Recent Blog Posts

Business Insurance / Construction, Real Estate, mass timber, sustainable housing
BC Proposes Building Code Changes to Allow 18-Storey Mass Timber Buildings

The provincial government has proposed changes to the British Columbia Building and Fire Codes (BC…

Dec 27th, 2023 | By: CapriCMW
Business Insurance / Small Business, SME, commercial property
Applications Open for BC's Securing Small Business Rebate Program

As of November 22, 2023, small businesses in BC can apply for a new provincial rebate to help them…

Dec 12th, 2023 | By: CapriCMW
Employee Benefits / employment law, employee benefts, pay transparency, pay equity
New Pay Disclosure Requirements Now in Effect for BC Employers

As of November 1, 2023, employers are required to include wage or salary ranges in job postings open…

Nov 16th, 2023 | By: CapriCMW
Search the Blog

Confidence and Freedom

At CapriCMW, we provide personalized insurance and custom risk solutions to give you the confidence and freedom to focus on what matters to you. Talk to an Advisor or get a quote today.

Get a Quote    Or call 1-800-670-1877

Can’t find what you are looking for? Ask us!