If you're going to be away this holiday season, there are some important steps for you to take before and during your trip to keep you safe and protect your property.
1 - CHECK THAT YOU HAVE ADEQUATE TRAVEL INSURANCE.
- You provincial or territorial health plan may not cover your medical bills while you're travelling outside Canada.
- Review the travel insurance available to you through your credit card, employee benefits or pension.
- Contact your insurance broker to ensure you and your family have the coverage you need and discuss your options for medical emergency, trip cancellation or interruption, lost luggage and replacement of lost or stolen personal documents.
- It is very important that you fully understand the terms and conditions of your insurance policy - Is there a deductible? Are there exclusions/limits for certain regions or countries? Does it provide continuous coverage for the entire duration of your trip?
2 - DO YOUR RESEARCH WHEN BOOKING.
- Confirm the health and entry requirements of your travel destination.
- Make sure you are up to date with recommended vaccines and pack a travel health kit.
- Book your accommodations and transportation with only reputable companies.
- Confirm that your passport/visa are valid. Most countries will require that your passport is not within six months of expiry.
- Get familiar with what to do and where to go in the event of a medical emergency during your trip.
3 - MAKE TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCESSIBLE.
- Make copies of important identification and travel documents such as your passport and driver's license and save them online for easy access in case you lose them while away.
- Keep your tickets, visas and travel insurance on hand.
4 - AVOID PUBLIC WI-FI.
- Using public wi-fi can make you vulnerable to hackers. Never access any apps while on public wi-fi that contain sensitive or personal information such as your banking, email or social media.
- If you are going to access public-wifi, close all apps. It is safest to set up a virtual private network (VPN) to access the internet while you're abroad.
5 - PREPARE YOUR HOME.
- Check that your home security system is in working order.
- Cancel any regular mail/deliveries.
- Ask a trusted family member, friend or neighbour to check on your home while you're away.
- Consider arranging snow removal if appropriate.
Contact a CapriCMW Insurance Advisor to help you understand your policy, identify any gaps in coverage and secure the right insurance for your specific requirements and concerns.