BC's Temporary Rental Supplement Program

To support landlords and tenants affected by the COVID-19 crisis, the BC government has announced the Temporary Rental Supplement.
Categories: Personal Insurance
Apr 24th, 2020 | By: CapriCMW

To support both tenants and landlords affected by the COVID-19 crisis, the BC government has announced the Temporary Rental Supplement.

Administered by BC Housing, this program will provide eligible tenants with up to $500 per month for up to three months (April, May and June), paid directly to the landlords. The supplement is designed to help low and moderate-income renters facing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, who do not qualify for other rental assistance programs. Those currently living in housing with rent subsidized by any level of government will not qualify for the TRS, including Income Assistance and Disability Assistance which each provide a shelter allowance.

Eligibility Requirements

  • 2019 household income of less than $74,150 for households without dependents and $113,040 for households with dependents
  • receiving or eligible for Employment Insurance, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit or  experiencing a 25% loss in monthly household employment income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic
  • paying more than 30% of current monthly household income towards rent

Eligible households without dependents will receive $300 per month and eligible households with dependents will receive $500 per month. Tenants will still be responsible for paying the difference between their full rent and the supplement provided. 

Application Process

The tenant starts the application and must have documents and photos prepared as the application process cannot be saved or paused. Applicants will require:

  • Proof of address (driver's license, utility bill, pay stub or mailed items addressed to the tenant at the rental address
  • Proof of monthly rent amount, such as a signed tenancy agreement, rent receipt, or notice of rent increase
  • Landlord’s details and contact information, including email address
  • For any household member who is over the age of 19:
    • Identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, or BC identification card
    • Proof of 2019 income (2019 Notice of Assessment or T-Slips), or letter from Employer
    • Proof of 2020 income loss related to COVID 19, and proof of receipt of Employment Insurance, Canada Emergency Response Benefit, Record of Employment, letter from employer, etc

Once the application has been reviewed and the tenant is considered eligible, the landlord will receive an email asking them to complete the application process. Landlords will be asked to confirm details provided about the tenancy, including rental address and monthly rent amount. Once the landlord's application is complete, both parties will receive an email confirmation. You will only be required to apply once, and the subsequent months will be automatically paid.

Applications are now being accepted on the BC Housing website

For information and resources on insurance and risk management for your rental properties, please contact a CapriCMW Risk Advisor.

Recent Blog Posts

Employee Benefits / employment law, employee benefts
Government of BC Seeking Feedback on Paid Sick Leave Models

As of January 1, 2022, employers in BC will be required to provide a minimum number of paid sick…

Oct 14th, 2021 | By: CapriCMW
Personal Insurance / home maintenance
6 Ways to Prepare Your Home for Cold Weather

With the days getting colder and wetter, now is the time to begin preparing your home for the…

Oct 7th, 2021 | By: CapriCMW
Personal Insurance / travel insurance, COVID-19
6 Tips to Getting the Travel Insurance You Need Now

As Canada recovers from the effects of the ongoing pandemic, travel has gradually resumed and begun…

Sep 29th, 2021 | By: CapriCMW
Search the Blog

Confidence and Freedom

At CapriCMW, we provide personalized insurance and custom risk solutions to give you the confidence and freedom to focus on what matters to you. Talk to an Advisor or get a quote today.

Get a Quote    Or call 1-800-670-1877

Can’t find what you are looking for? Ask us!