With the rise of connected devices at home and the global shift towards working remotely, the risk of cyber attacks targeting individuals is higher than ever before, says Vishal Kundi, CEO and co-founder of Boxx Insurance, a Toronto-based company specializing in cybersecurity and cyber insurance solutions.
A report from Norton, one of the world's leaders in digital security, revealed that 80% of those who responded to phishing emails experienced identity theft, bank and credit card fraud as well as unauthorized app installations on devices.
Here are four cybersecurity pitfalls that hackers are using to their advantage:
- Passwords shared between friends and family
- Webcams on home computers capturing audio and video from inside the home
- Baby monitors or toys connected to home networks capturing audio and video from inside the home
- Mobile devices connected to public wi-fi connections allowing access to financial apps and email
Here are five tips from Vishal Kundi to protect yourself and your family:
- Enable automatic updates for any software installed on your computers and mobile devices. The most recent versions of security software, browsers and operating systems are your best protection against viruses, malware, and other tools used by cyber criminals.
- Adopt complex passwords for all online accounts as well as your home wireless network. Avoid sending any sensitive information over public wi-fi.
- Beware of phishing attacks that deceive people into providing account or login information with fraudulent emails and websites. Be wary of any links, attachments or pop-up screens from unfamiliar sources.
- Avoid posting personal information on social media. Profiles are often used by hackers to figure out passwords and answer security questions used for resetting passwords. Enhance your privacy settings and keep information such as birthdays, addresses, mother’s maiden name, etc. off social media. Be careful of requests to connect from people you don’t know.
- When online shopping, check that the websites are using secure technology. Verify that the web address begins with ‘https’ when on a checkout screen and that there is a little locked padlock symbol next to the URL.
Buy Personal Cyber Insurance Online
CapriCMW is proud to partner with BOXX Insurance to offer Cyberboxx Home Edition to our clients in British Columbia, Yukon and Ontario. Starting at just $99/yr, Cyberboxx Home Edition is designed to insure you from the crippling consequences of a cyber attack.
This content is powered by the Canadian Broker Network.
CapriCMW is a proud member of the Canadian Broker Network (CBN), an alliance of Canada’s leading independent insurance brokerages representing over 50 offices, 1,500 professionals and over $1 billion in premiums. Learn more at canadianbrokernetwork.com.